SA in early signs of COVID-19 second wave

SA's Chief Health Officer Nicola Spurrier has revealed 17 virus cases are linked to a medi-hotel.
SA's Chief Health Officer Nicola Spurrier has revealed 17 virus cases are linked to a medi-hotel.

South Australia has reimposed a range of COVID-19 restrictions as officials battle to contain a rapidly spreading and worrying cluster of infections.

Premier Steven Marshall says restrictions on pubs and restaurants, gyms, and limits on various gatherings will come into effect from midnight and remain for at least two weeks.

He says coronavirus testing stations will operate on extended hours and the state's contact tracing resources have been increased.

"We are now facing our biggest test to date," Mr Marshall said.

"People are working around the clock to stay ahead of this cluster. No effort will be spared to slow and stop the spread.

"Time is now of the essence. We cannot wait to see how bad this gets. The next 24 hours will be critical."

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said the number of cases linked to the Parafield cluster had not increased on Monday.

But three children from the family at the centre of the outbreak were showing symptoms despite initially testing negative.

The cluster is put at 17 taking the total number of active infections in South Australia to 34.

All of those people are in hotel quarantine, except for two from the new outbreak who have been admitted to the Royal Adelaide Hospital as a precaution because of their age.

The cluster has been linked to one of Adelaide's quarantine hotels with three staff at one facility, including two security guards, among those testing positive.

All staff at the quarantine hotels will now be tested weekly.

Prof Spurrier said South Australia was now facing the prospect of a second surge of COVID-19 cases but "we are in the very early days".

"It looks like we're in the early part of what could be called a second wave," she said.

"But we have time to get on top of it."

Prof Spurrier said it was now vital people with symptoms came forward to be tested and people followed good hygiene protocols.

The cluster has closed down two schools in Adelaide's north along with a Hungry Jack's restaurant at Port Adelaide.

An Anglicare aged care centre at suburban Brompton was also placed in lockdown after two staff members tested positive.

A pop-up testing station was established at the Parafield Airport with hundreds flocking to it and other testing centres, prompting delays of several hours.

Mr Marshall said he had briefed Prime Minister Scott Morrison on the outbreak and had accepted an offer of help from the ADF.

The outbreak prompted Western Australia, Tasmania, Queensland and the Northern Territory to reimpose border restrictions requiring people arriving from SA to quarantine.

Victoria said it would screen and test people on arrival, while NSW and the ACT made no changes but were monitoring the situation.

The cluster emerged on Sunday after an 81-year-old woman went to Adelaide's Lyell McEwin Hospital for testing and was hospitalised.

Two members of her family, a woman in her 50s and a man in his 60s, also tested positive, including one who worked in the quarantine hotel.

Warnings were issued for a range of public bus services and various locations including a swimming centre, fruit shop, two supermarkets, a chemist, a GP surgery, a department store and a hotel in the centre of Adelaide city.

People there at various times were being asked to monitor for symptoms.

Australian Associated Press