Over the past 24 hours the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Australia has doubled, with number expected to grow each day.
While the Limestone Coast was seemingly unaffected by the virus, that has officially changed with the first confirmed case in the area being confirmed this afternoon.
A press conference was held at the Mount Gambier and Districts Health Service this afternoon, and it announced that an elderly man in his 60's was diagnosed with the virus earlier this morning.
Despite contracting the virus, executive director of medical services for the Limestone Coast Local Health Network Dr Elaine Pretorius said the patient is doing well.
Dr Pretorius said the elderly man currently displaying symptoms of the virus, stating he has a temperature and is coughing a little bit.
While countless residents will be alarmed to hear that the region has its first confirmed case, the patient acquired the virus through travel.
"Further good news is that this was associated with travel and is not community acquired," Dr Pretorius said.
She further stated that there is no current evidence of community spread within the Limestone Coast.
It is nearly impossible to confirm whether there are more residents who have contracted the virus due to the lack of testing, but it is important implement strict hygiene to help stop the potential spread of COVID-19.
To help stop the spread, people are being encouraged to wash their hands often and thoroughly, cough into their elbow and isolate themselves.
Residents are urged to stay inside their homes and don't leave unless they have to.
Going to the supermarket for groceries is still allowed, but people need to keep a 1.5m distance for the person next to them.
As of March 23, South Australia currently has 134 confirmed cases.
Of the the 1,823 confirmed cases in Australia, 7 have died from COVID-19. More than 148,000 tests have been conducted across Australia.
For more information about COVID-19, please click here