Cigarette started Binna Burra Lodge fire

The fire that destroyed homes and the Binna Burra Lodge was likely caused by a cigarette.
The fire that destroyed homes and the Binna Burra Lodge was likely caused by a cigarette.

The fire that destroyed the heritage-listed Binna Burra Lodge in September was likely caused by a cigarette discarded by teenagers.

The fire destroyed eight homes and five commercial structures, including the lodge, when it ravaged the Gold Coast hinterland areas of Sarabah and Canungra.

Police investigations found a 17-year-old and a 19-year-old accidentally caused the fire, but say they won't be prosecuted.

Firefighters and waterbombing aircraft are working to contain another fire that broke out south of Binna Burra in Lamington National Park on Wednesday.

More than 60 fires continue to burn across Queensland, with a severe fire danger warning in place for a large swathe of the state's south, with soaring temperatures and erratic weather conditions forecast for Wednesday.

Communities west of Brisbane and the Gold Coast are of major concern with a new fire front headed towards the five-star Spicers Peak Lodge at Maryvale on the Southern Downs.

Australian Associated Press