Wolseley's 1959 B Grade premiership team reunites

Many say football's just a game, but for the members of the Wolseley 1959 B Grade premiership team it is a lot more than that.

The club may have ceased to exist, but those responsible for the premiership triumph 60 years ago reunited to share their recollections of the famous day at the Wolseley Hotel on Thursday night.

Wolseley local Keith Willis was responsible for bringing the team back together and organising the event, spending months tracking down former players.

On a joyous evening, of the 20 players who played in the side that beat Bordertown, nine of them were able to attend the reunion.

Astonishingly, the dinner was held on the exact day of the premiership triumph, adding an extra bit of feeling to the already emotional reunion.

Before making their way to the Wolseley Hotel, the players spent an hour socialising at the ground where they played so much football together.

The players eventually wandered over to the hotel, where Mr Willis welcomed all in attendance, while premiership player Bill Makin made note of the apologies.

One of the many highlights during the night included the presence of former Wolseley player and Port Adelaide Magpies legend Jeff Potter.

Mr Potter played 235 games for Port Adelaide from 1959-1970, representing the South Australian state team 23 times, as well as being inducted as a SANFL life member.

During his speech, he captivated the audience, recalling his early memories of starting his football journey at Wolseley Football Club.

Unbelievably, he mentioned that he started playing senior football at the club at the age of eight years old, arguably shaping him into the footballer he ultimately became.

He also mentioned his experiences playing against some of the game's all time great players, including three-time Brownlow medallist Bob Skilton and Graham "Polly" Farmer, who died recently.

After Mr Potter's speech, the premiership players in attendance talked about their recollections of the day, expressing their significance of the flag. Only four years later the club would disband.

Attendees also got to hear from Bryan Paech, who was best on ground in the grand final in losing team.

The history of the club was best summarised by former player Jim McLellan, who highlighted the highs and lows of the club.

In a fitting touch to the evening, Joan Marschall, wife of premiership captain/coach Dennis Marschall, was given the honour of cutting the football field themed cake.

The night concluded with current KNTFL president Peter McLellan thanking all those who made the effort to attend, mentioning how incredible it was to hear from many of the former players.

All premiership players were handed a framed team photo, in another touching tribute.

Nanette Tongue (nee Makin) ended the night by ringing the official 'time bell' used by time keeper Theo "Snow" Makin for the last time in 1963.

The club may be long gone, but the memories made by the 20 footballers who became premiership players in 1959 will last the test of time.