Ghost mushrooms found in Padthaway Conservation Park

Padthaway Conservation Park is glowing more than usual, with a number of "ghost mushrooms" lighting up the area in recent weeks.

Commonly found in southern regions of Australia, the mushrooms have become increasingly popular with nature lovers in the South East.

ForestrySA's Ghost Mushroom Lane is an incredibly popular event which attracts tourists to pine forests outside of Glencoe, to experience the eerie green glow of the mushrooms.

However, local photographer Luke Leddy stumbled across the mushrooms in Padthaway Conservation Park last year.

Mr Leddy said he found the mushrooms by chance, as he was trying to take photograph of a bird.

"I mainly photograph birds. I was following a bird trying to get a shot and I looked down and saw it then quickly forgot about the bird," Mr Leddy said.

Having prior knowledge about the mushroom, he returned to the conservation park later that night to experience its famous glow.

"That night I went back to see it glow. I knew a little bit about them, but only down Mount Gambier way," Mr Leddy said.

Since finding the mushrooms in the area, he has kept his eyes peeled, also finding them elsewhere around the park.

"I found them in several other locations and now this year they have come up again in the same spots as last year," Mr Leddy said.

Omphalotus nidiformis, better know as ghost mushroom, isn't commonly found at Padthaway, but it is possible for the fungus to grow in the area.

ForestSA said the mushroom has been found in Padthaway on multiple occasions, but the conditions need to be right so it can grow.

The mushroom can be found in eucalypt and pine forests, arid scrubland sub-alpine areas, as well as in urban parks and gardens.

Since stumbling across the visually appealing mushrooms, Mr Leddy said he has become "addicted" looking around for them during the winter months.

Mr Leddy has plans to continue returning the conservation park to take pictures of the mushrooms.

NOTE: Ghost mushrooms are poisonous and shouldn't be touched or eaten.